Once you start drafting a text it is a good idea to organize the text into paragraphs.
The most important sentence in each paragraph is called the topic sentence. It presents the essence of the paragraph.
The rest of the paragraph will expand on the topic sentence. Most often the topic sentence is the first sentence in the paragraph. Good topic sentences will give a clear idea about the whole paragraph.
Checklist for writing paragraphs:
– Is only one idea included in each paragraph?
– Is the topic sentence clear?
– How is the paragraph linked to the previous paragraph (is a linking word appropriate)?
– Is all the information given relevant to the one idea?
– Could more information be included to make this paragraph complete?
– Are there spelling mistakes, incomplete sentences or other errors?